Thursday, September 9, 2010

Adventures in Detroit

A few weeks ago I embarked on a road trip to spread the good word about WORN Fashion Journal. It's really the only thing I am evangelical about, so selling the mag at the craft fair at the Detroit Maker Faire seemed like a perfect opportunity to get my preach on. With such thoughts in mind, Serah-Marie, the driving force behind all things WORN, her husband Ted, her cousin Liam and I embarked on our journey. And we only listening to music from Detroit!

Pictures and musings after the break.
This is the first thing you see when you cross the border into Detroit. My urban decay dreams were coming true before my eyes.
A warehouse of used books. 
We found a shell station populated by classic cars. I suppose of course car culture is big in Detroit, but I didn't expect anything like this. It is a surreal experience to drive by a huge lot filled with such wonderful cars, and their owners hanging out next to them in fold out chairs.

We set up our beautiful booth at the craft fair and informed the masses that clothing is an important cultural product. I hope ou all enjoy the wounderful banners all around Serah-Marie and Ted, because one of my projects this summer was designing this set up. I am really proud of it, and it's good to have a picture since I finished in June. The really big banner? Straight up applique.
Of course Maker Faire provided many exciting sights and sounds.
I was really fascinated by this video of how Eames fibre glass chairs are constructed. It's a mind blowing process.

Life size mousetrap was also super cool.

There was a lot of Americana too ogle at as well.



Next: New York, then Philly!


No comments:

Post a Comment